I downloaded my RTM copy of Windows Server 2008 (x32) and decided I would use my MOSS 2007 development server as a test to see how the upgrade would proceed and overall I would say it was a piece of cake.
- If you are upgrading a DC then you have to run ADPREP /forestprep and ADPREP /domainprep before you can upgrade. The ADPREP program is located on the DVD in the sources\adprep folder.
- I had to uninstall PowerShell 1.0 for Windows 2003 Server. This was a bit hard to track down as it is located under Add/Remove Programs only if you have the "Show Updates" checkbox selected.
- When the upgrade was finally done a few MOSS things were broken:
i) The Document Conversions Load Balancer Service was not happy it complained about not being able to connect; I went into SharePoint 3.0 Central Administration | Operations | Services on Server and stopped the following services:Document Conversions Load Balancer ServiceDocument Conversions Launcher ServiceThen I started the Document Conversions Load Balancer Service followed by the Document Conversions Launcher Service and all was fixed.ii) My content index was corrupt and I was receiving the following error "Content index on Search could not be initialized. Error The content index is corrupt.". Again in SharePoint 3.0 Central Administration | Operations | Services on Server and stopped the following service:Windows SharePoint Services SearchThen I started the service again and selected a different database (to avoid conflicts with the previous one) and all was fixed.
So again overall it was a piece of cake and now I have a little Vista in my Windows Server. I can’t wait to try upgrading my TFS development server to see how that goes.